The Uganda High Commission, Canberra, wishes to announce that the Republic of Uganda is set to introduce an International East African e-Passport to replace and eventually phase out the current East African and International Machine-Readable Passports and would like to inform as follows:
- The new e-Passport will be presented in the following colors: Sky Blue (Ordinary Passport), Green (Service Passport) and Red (Diplomatic Passport).
- Distinct features: The new International EAC e-passport will be a physical passport like the current ones but will be embedded with a secure electronic chip that will contain more details including a bio data page that will have special security features. The new passport will also have more security features like the Coat of Arms, the Crested Crane, the Mountain Gorilla, the Independence Monument, Murchison Falls and the fishing man.
- How it works: The new passport will ease clearance at the entry/exit points. It will facilitate use of e-gates for self-clearance, automated issuance of Boarding Passes, and quicker processing across airports worldwide where e-passport reader equipment is installed.
- The e-passport is expected to comply with guidelines set by the International Civil Aviation Organization, making it acceptable around the world.
- The commissioning of the International EAC e-Passport is scheduled for the end of January 2019, however the issuance will commence on 7th December, 2018.
- The phase out of the current Passports shall be as follows:
– Government of Uganda has designated a two-year transitional period to allow for a gradual phase out of the current passport.
– During the transitional period all citizens with valid Machine Readable Passports will continue to use them for international travel until January 2021.
- Ugandans in the diaspora will continue submitting their applications for the e-Passport manually through the Uganda Missions abroad until we establish Personalization Centers in the Missions. New Application Forms will be posted and availed on the websites of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (www.mia.go.ug), Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control (www.immigration.go.ug) and all Uganda Missions websites. The website for the Uganda Consulate in Mombasa is https://mombasa.mofa.go.ug/.
- Before the commissioning date of the e-Passport system, the following shall apply;
– Dully filled application Form.
– Attach a copy of the National ID of the Recommender.
– Attach a copy of National ID or National Identification Number of the applicant.
– Attach copies of academic documents for proof of profession (where applicable).
– Attach proof of payment of prescribed fees.
– Attach a copy of birth certificate, adoption order, and consent letter from parents/guardians in case of minors.
– Attach any other information that may be relevant to the application.
– When the passport is ready, the applicant will be alerted to proceed and pick up their passport.
NOTE: Applicants will be required to present original documents where applicable.
- After Commissioning of the e-Passport system scheduled for the end of January 2019, the e-Passport application process will be both manual and online and the procedure shall be as follows:
- The fees for the International East African e-Passport shall be as follows:
Ordinary passport (48 Pages) – UGX 250,000
Service Passport (64 Pages) – UGX 400,000
Diplomatic Passport (64 Pages) – UGX 500,000
Express Processing Service – UGX 150,000
Courier Service for Applicants Abroad – UGX I0,000
Certification of Passport – UGX 30,000
Fine for Replacement of lost or damaged Passport – UGX I00,000